Level 15Level 17
45 words 0 ignored
Ready to learn Ready to review
Check the boxes below to ignore/unignore words, then click save at the bottom. Ignored words will never appear in any learning session.
Effusively sad or full of self-pity; extremely sentimental [e.g. when drunk]
1. disaster/misfortune, esp one causing extreme havoc, distress, or misery 2. a state or feeling of deep distress or misery
critical explanation or interpretation of a text, particularly religious texts
having keen mental perception and understanding; shrewd; astute; discerning
1. Calm and peaceful; tranquil 2. Prosperous, golden
Persistent application or diligence; unflagging effort.
1. a means of connection; tie; link. 2. a connected series or group. 3. the core or center, as of a matter or situation.
relating to the making of clothes, usually men's clothes, or to a way of dressing
1. inexperienced; unruly 2. playful and lively
1. A young male horse. 2. A youthful or inexperienced person
Heedful of circumstances and potential consequences; prudent; discreet; watchful
A temporary cessation of fighting by mutual consent; a truce.
a remedy for all ills; cure-all; an answer to all problems
Covered with soft, short hair; downy.
a small, usually prosperous, community situated beyond the suburbs of a city.
1. Of questionable authorship or authenticity. 2. Erroneous; fictitious
1. characteristic of/pertaining to any innocent or carefree period 2. (Theology) occurring before the Fall of Man (from Eden)
1. mysterious; cryptic. 2. prophetic; oracular.
1. engagement to be married; betrothal.
To attempt to dissuade someone from some course or decision by earnest reasoning
Latin: of its own kind, unique in its characteristics
Strong; tough; stringy; forceful.
pertaining or appropriate to summer.
To look or stare with undue curiosity.
The apparent shift of an object against a background due to a change in observer position
to interlock, as or like the fingers of both hands.
synonym for a snake (from Greek)
To develop immunity to a poison by gradually increasing the dose
verb intr.: To delay or gain time to put off an undesired event
1. to provide an instance of or concrete evidence in support of (a theory, concept, claim, or the like).
1. to clear the throat audibly in a self-important manner 2. to express oneself gruffly.
to clear from blame; to prove innocent
Resembling, made of, or the color of, bricks
Of, relating to, or resembling sheep.
1. Relating to the highest heaven, believed to contain pure light or fire. 2. Relating to the sky; celestial. 3. Sublime; elevated.
Snowy or resembling snow
Overbearing pride or presumption; arrogance
the condition of self-sufficiency, especially economic, as applied to a nation.
1. varied in appearance or color; marked with patches or spots of different colors. 2. varied; diversified; diverse
Very excited, eager or curious to hear or see something.
cause, origins or manner of causation of a disease or a condition
Lasting or existing for a long or apparently infinite time; enduring or continually recurring; present at all seasons of the year; regularly repeated or renewed
1. A system of betting in which the bettor must pick the first three winners in the correct sequence 2. A set or combination of three things (esp. three successful outcomes)
A book of magical knowledge, especially one containing spells; a manual of black magic
A temporary stay; a brief period of residence